Barbara Shepherd, Award-Winning Artist & Writer
Painting in oils and watercolor, sculpting in porcelain clay, and writing in fiction, non-fiction, screenplay, and poetry, she is the recipient of many art awards and over 350 writing awards in local, regional, national, and international contests. She has been named the Poetry Society Poet Laureate 2019 and the American Christian Writers’ Writer of the Year (twice) and received a Readers Choice Award from miller’s pond, the Creme de la Creme from Norman Galaxy of Writers (two years back to back), and a Creme de la Creme from Mid-Oklahoma Writers. She has been a Finalist for OWFI's Creme de la Creme award ten times. Rose State Writers Conference presented her with a trophy for the Outstanding Author Award for 2016. She won First Place/Best of Show at the 2017 Oklahoma State Fair and was named the "Voice of the Fair - Poet". She is a "Lone Stars Poet" and a "Woody Guthrie Poet", and honored to be a former Nominee for Poet Laureate of the State of Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Writers Federation, Inc. (OWFI) recognized her as an Honorary Life Member in 2012.
Shepherd is a recipe tester for TV’s America’s Test Kitchen and Cook’s Country and has been a field editor for Taste of Home magazines and cookbooks and a free-lance contributor to other magazines, including: Preview, Edmond Outlook, Oklahoma D.O., Oklahoma Woman, Shawnee Shopper, Edmond Life and Leisure, miller's pond, Bella, and ArtBeat.
Supporting The Local Arts Community
Giving back to the arts community, Shepherd volunteers in more than a dozen local and national literary organizations and teaches occasional workshops in painting and writing. She founded Art Affair Annual Literary Contests and sponsored the categories for poets and writers for more than a decade.
Professional Creative & Technical Writing Ventures
Shepherd compiled, edited, and published four anthologies of poetry and prose by members of three writing organizations and published a cookbook and two editions of a personal poetry chapbook. She also designed the covers for her self-published books in addition to books she published for other writers.
Versatile in both creative and technical writing, Shepherd co-compiled a 335-page cookbook, writing the master index for more than 800 recipes. Over $30,000 profit from sales of that ("State Cops") ten-dollar cookbook was donated to the OKC Murrah bombing victims and families. She also edited essays and ghost-wrote chapters for a book about women during World War II and one on quilting.
- The Potbelly Pig Promise (Doodle and Peck Publishing, Oklahoma)
- River Bend (The Wild Rose Press, New York)
- Vittles and Vignettes
- Patchwork Skin
- Patchwork Skin, Second Edition
Her stage plays:
- Night of Terror - (Short Play performed in 2018 by actors & director at Town & Gown Theatre, Stillwater, Oklahoma, after placing in the Top Eight in an international competition)
Her writing has also appeared in:
- State Cops Cooking in the Heartland - More Than We Can Say Grace Over - charity cookbook
- Adventures In Food - cookbook
- Women’s War Memoirs - anthology
- Heavenly Patchwork - anthology
- miller’s pond - literary journal (published in 2 issues)
- Voices In Time - (Maria's Writing Group) anthology
- Candle Flames: PSO’s 70th Anniversary Anthology - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Oklahoma Centennial Heritage Collection - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Harp Strings - literary journal
- A Centennial Celebration of Oklahoma Stories - Wordwrights OKC-Christian Writers anthology
- travelin’ Music - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- Elegant Rage - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- Poetry Is For Everyone - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Imagination Turned Loose - Mid-Oklahoma Writers anthology
- Beads On a String – Peace, Joy, and Love - Wordwrights-OKC Christian Writers anthology
- From the Heart of Galaxy - Norman Galaxy of Writers anthology
- Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- Prosateurs: Tales & Truth - Prosateurs anthology
- The Untamed West - Western Fictioneers anthology
- Poets to Come - A Poetry Anthology: Walt Whitman Bicentennial - Walt Whitman's 200th birthday anthology project
- Numerous magazines, newspapers, newsletters and online publications
What The Future Holds
After the release of her debut novel and debut picture book by traditional publishers in 2017 and 2018, Barbara is working on two new novels - an action/suspense and a YA mystery.
Current books available: The Potbelly Pig Promise in hardcover, softcover and digital, River Bend in paperback and digital, cookbook - Vittles and Vignettes, four pieces in the anthology, Prosateurs: Tales and Truth, and a short-short story in the anthology by Western Fictioneers The Untamed West.
The Generic Kid, YA novel co-written by Shelley Anne Richter, has an interested editor. Stay tuned for news.
Her goals for 2019 include: Completing novels and picture books; scheduling book signings; continued participation in writing and critique groups; and making at least four quilts.
To contact Barbara, please write to: Art Affair, P.O. Box 14082, Oklahoma City, OK 73113