Barbara Shepherd, Award-Winning Artist & Writer
Painting in oils and watercolor, sculpting in porcelain clay, and writing in fiction, non-fiction, screenplay, stage play, and poetry, Shepherd is the recipient of many art awards and over 400 writing awards in local, regional, national, and international contests. She has been named the Poet Laureate 2019 by Poetry Society Oklahoma and its second runner-up in 2020. She was the American Christian Writers’ Writer of the Year (twice) and received a Readers Choice Award from miller’s pond, the Creme de la Creme from Norman Galaxy of Writers (two years back to back), and a Creme de la Creme from Mid-Oklahoma Writers. She has been a Finalist for OWFI's Creme de la Creme award eleven times. Rose State Writers Conference presented her with a trophy for the Outstanding Author Award for 2016. She won First Place/Best of Show at the 2017 Oklahoma State Fair and was named the "Voice of the Fair - Poet" and received the same award and title in 2019. She is also a "Lone Stars Poet" and a "Woody Guthrie Poet" and honored to be a former Nominee for Poet Laureate of the State of Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Writers Federation, Inc. (OWFI) recognized her as an Honorary Life Member in 2012.
Shepherd has edited several books and authored: River Bend, The Potbelly Pig Promise, Vittles and Vignettes, Patchwork Skin, and Patchwork Skin, Second Edition.
She is a recipe tester for TV’ programs and cookbooks for America’s Test Kitchen and Cook’s Country and has been a field editor for Taste of Home magazines and cookbooks. She is a freelance contributor to other magazines, including, Preview, Edmond Outlook, Oklahoma D.O., Oklahoma Woman, Shawnee Shopper, Edmond Life and Leisure, miller's pond, Bella, and ArtBeat. Shepherd's poems, short stories, and articles have been published in numerous anthologies and online. Some are listed below.
Supporting The Local Arts Community
Giving back to the arts community, Shepherd volunteers in more than a dozen local and national literary organizations and teaches occasional workshops in painting and writing. She founded Art Affair Annual Literary Contests, sponsoring its categories for poets and writers for more than a decade, and co-founded Fiction Writers Retreat.
Professional Creative & Technical Writing Ventures
Shepherd has been published by traditional publishers. In addition, she compiled, edited, and published four anthologies of poetry and prose by members of three writing organizations and published a cookbook and two editions of a personal poetry chapbook. She also designed the covers for her self-published books in addition to books she published for other writers.
Versatile in both creative and technical writing, Shepherd co-compiled a 335-page cookbook, writing the master index for more than 800 recipes. Over $30,000 profit from sales of that ("State Cops") ten-dollar cookbook was donated to the OKC Murrah bombing victims and families. She also edited essays and ghost-wrote chapters for a book about women during World War II and one on quilting.
- The Potbelly Pig Promise (Doodle and Peck Publishing, Oklahoma)
- River Bend (The Wild Rose Press, New York)
- Vittles and Vignettes
- Patchwork Skin
- Patchwork Skin, Second Edition
Her stage plays and screenplays:
- Night of Terror - short play (Performed in 2018 by actors & director at Town & Gown Theatre, Stillwater, Oklahoma, after placing in the Top Eight in an international competition)
- The Cover-Up - short play
- Wanted - short screenplay
Her writing has also appeared in:
- State Cops Cooking in the Heartland - More Than We Can Say Grace Over - charity cookbook
- Adventures In Food - cookbook
- Women’s War Memoirs - an anthology
- Heavenly Patchwork - an anthology
- miller’s pond - literary journal (published in 2 issues)
- Voices In Time - (Maria's Writing Group) anthology
- Candle Flames: PSO’s 70th Anniversary Anthology - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Oklahoma Centennial Heritage Collection - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Harp Strings - a literary journal
- A Centennial Celebration of Oklahoma Stories - Wordwrights OKC-Christian Writers anthology
- travelin’ Music - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- Elegant Rage - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- Poetry Is For Everyone - Poetry Society of Oklahoma anthology
- Imagination Turned Loose - Mid-Oklahoma Writers anthology
- Beads On a String – Peace, Joy, and Love - Wordwrights-OKC Christian Writers anthology
- From the Heart of Galaxy - Norman Galaxy of Writers anthology
- Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way - Woody Guthrie Poets anthology
- 2017 Garden Gourmet - A Holiday of Hacks - The Wild Rose Press - anthology
- 2018 A Baker's Holiday Garden Gourmet - The Wild Rose Press - cookbook
- Prosateurs: Tales & Truth - Prosateurs anthology
- The Untamed West - Western Fictioneers anthology
- Poets to Come - A Poetry Anthology: Walt Whitman Bicentennial - Walt Whitman's 200th birthday anthology project
- A Christmas Anthology - Doodle and Peck Publishing anthology
- Yule Tidings - Prosateurs anthology
- Under Western Skies - Western Fictioneers anthology
- 2020 Holiday Garden Gourmet - Cookies - The Wild Rose Press - cookbook
- Cooking Up Stories - anthology/cookbook (coming soon)
- Conclave - literary journal
- Numerous magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and online publications
What The Future Holds
After the release of her debut novel and debut picture book by traditional publishers in 2017 and 2018, Barbara is working on two new novels - an action/suspense and a YA mystery.
Current books available: The Potbelly Pig Promise in hardcover, softcover and digital, River Bend in paperback and digital, cookbook - Vittles and Vignettes, four pieces in the anthology, Prosateurs: Tales and Truth, and a short-short story in the anthology by Western Fictioneers The Untamed West.
The Generic Kid, YA novel co-written by Shelley Anne Richter, is with a publisher. Stay tuned for news.
Her goals for 2019 were: Completing novels and picture books; scheduling book signings; continued participation in writing and critique groups; and making at least four quilts. (She did all of these except, the novels are still in progress and she made 2 pillows and 4 patchwork pillows and 5 quilts instead of the 4 she'd hoped to make. She was also published in anthologies and won more writing awards.)
Her goals for 2020 were: Completing novels and picture books; publishing a short story in the anthology, Under Western Skies, by Western Fictioneers; scheduling book signings and continued participation in writing and critique groups when the pandemic subsides. She also planned to make a crazy quilt for this 2020 crazy world we live in and salvage enough "memory fabric" from a family's over-loved quilt to make them two oversized sofa pillows. (She did all of these except the novels and the book signings. due to the continuing pandemic. She won more awards and completed one novel - the YA mystery, and participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time, which meant starting a new novel - a western.)
Her goals for 2021 include publishing two short pieces in Conclave literary magazine, completing the two novels already in progress, and searching for representation by a literary agent. She will also make a baby quilt for a new great-grandchild! (She was twice published in Conclave - juvenile and inspirational pieces. She won more awards, restarted oil after a decades-long hiatus, and . . .)